Tips for Individual Offensive Play - Jump Shot
"COACHES CORNER" with John Heard
FOCUS: "TIPS FOR INDIVIDUAL OFFENSIVE PLAY"
1. Avoid travelling when stepping in to shoot the jump shot.
2. Jump “strong”, and then relax on the shot.
3. The jump shot is executed by jumping straight up in the air without floating or fading while in the air. (Floating or fading is the most common reason for missing this shot).
4. The ball should be released at the peak or hesitation point of the jump. Don’t, however, exaggerate the hang.
5. When moving for a shot, come to a balanced halt.
6. The shooting hand must be directly behind the ball.
7. Sight (aim) under the ball.
8. Lessen the height of the jump for longer-range shots.
9. A quick jump is important.
10. For the standing jump shot, the shooter may use a short foot slide forward.
11. Use the fake shot or the fake pass before jumping.
If you'd like me to come out to your training sessions and run you through more of my training then please contact the association through email.